The Tea House: Nurture Thyself

By Spike Marlowe

teahouseToday is brought to you by sangria.

Last week we talked about not eating the crayons when making our art.

While it’s true self-discipline is an essential quality for professional artists to have, so is the ability to recognize when it’s time to pull back, chill out and nurture ourselves.

I’ve been working my ass off lately in several avenues of my life. I can sprint like this, but only for so long. Eventually there comes a time when I need a break.

Additionally, I also recognize it’s essential I take time to nurture myself now, not only because I need it, but because BizarroCon is only a few weeks away. The travel will wear me out, and once I’m there, I’m going to be working hard as a writer and as an editor. I wouldn’t be useful to myself or anyone else if I showed up to BizarroCon depleted. But I if I can show up to the con refreshed and rejuvenated, ready to take on the world, I’m going to rock it.

So it’s time to take a few days to chill, read some good books, watch movies, cuddle with my dog and have nice long chats with my sweetie. It’s time to drink beer milkshakes and go for a long hike or hang out at the beach and watch the whales, seals and otters.

Does this mean I’m not going to make art at all? Probably not, this time. Right now I’m hungry to make some good art, so my recuperation period will definitely involve writing. But sometimes I work on creative projects so hard it’s time for me to take a break from those, too. At that point I won’t write for a few days, but I’ll be creative in other ways: I’ll play music, bake some bread, cook some delicious meals, paint a picture or crochet an afghan.

When it’s time to pull back and chill out, how do you nurture yourself?
______________________
Spike Marlowe has held a number of odd jobs, including working as a detective, a Bigfoot researcher, a writer for an internet content farm, a busker and as a performer in a wild west show. These days she’s a writer, blogger and bizarro editor for Eraserhead Press, with a focus on the New Bizarro Author Series. Her first book, Placenta of Love, is available at all the usual locations. You can stalk her online at her website or on Twitter at @spikemarlowe.

1. What’s uρ, afteг reading thіs rеmarkable paragraph i am too happy to share
    my know-how here with colleaguеs.

December 10, 2013 at 8:20 am

2. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
    I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to
    do with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The style and design look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon.
    Many thanks

February 21, 2014 at 10:10 pm

3. I loved as much as you will receive carried out
    right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.

unwell unquestionably come further formerly
    again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this
    hike. how to get much more enjoys upon facebook, actually
    can get facebook likes
    get facebook likes Smallest Selling prices Best Services.

April 2, 2014 at 10:22 pm

4. Hi there! This article couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me
    of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this.
    I’ll forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a great read.
    I appreciate you for sharing! youtube
    youtube
    youtube

September 23, 2014 at 3:54 am

5. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thank you so much, However I
    am going through difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know the
    reason why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anybody else having identical RSS problems?
    Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond?
    Thanx!! instagram
    instagram

September 28, 2014 at 7:06 pm

6. magnificent post, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of
    this sector do not realize this. You should continue your writing.
    I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already! instagram
    instagram