Favourite Halloween Movie?

By Halloween movie I don’t necessarily mean the Carpenter movies, but what’s your favourite flick to get you in the Halloween spirit?

Last year I felt only mildly excited by the holiday, until I sat down and carved my pumpkin while watching Trick R Treat, which is now one of my favourite movies of all time.

– Sam Reeve

1. David W Barbee

Definitely Trick R Treat! That movie rules.

October 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm

2. necaros

I would also like to suggest Murder Party, absolutely great. Any movie where they shoot up truth serum for kicks and ask each other questions is a good one. Plus it is totally Halloween themed.

October 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm

3. The Haunted. Mostly for the scene where the dad gets raped by a demon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OSIxx6cgFM&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3Dthe%2Bhaunted%2Brape%26aq%3Df

But seriously, it’s a TV movie and I saw it when it came out in 1991 and I can’t think of another movie that has frightened me more (and the demon rape scene is really hilarious to watch now that I’m not like 12 or however old I was when I first saw it). I think there was a creepy scene where the family tried to escape from their house and stay in a hotel room, but the ghosts followed them out of the house (and it freaked me out).

And I’m pretty sure I was unaware that the dad and the demon were getting hot and heavy but the scene scared the crap out of me. Come to think of it, I’ve had similar experiences minus the rape aspect as far as a suffering a few incidents of sleep paralysis, which could definitely be mistaken and the cause for all claims of demon rape. Possibly the first time I suffered sleep paralysis while I was a freshman in college, the demon version of a girl who I had a massive crush on smothered me.

DEMON!

So this whole sleep paralysis thing us supposed to be where the concept of succubi comes from, although I’m pretty sure no one ever gets visited by more than one at the same time. It just seemed kind of awkward to write “the concept of THE succubus.”

SUCCUBUS!

October 7, 2011 at 1:35 am

4. Halloween III: Season of the Witch. Hands down, my favorite movie to watch this time of year. I mean, come on…the scene where they test the mask on ‘Little Buddy’? Tell me that doesn’t make your skin crawl.

October 7, 2011 at 6:49 am

5. One of the best scary movie memories I have is in college watching The Shining with a bunch of friends. I was sitting next to a female friend who I thought was hot, and I would put my hand on her arm just to see her jump during the non-scary parts of the movie. DAMN, that was awesome!

But my favorite scary movie is probably Nosferatu (the original German Expressionist one). And Stuart Gordon’s Dagon. And Army of Darkness.

Why do I have to pick just one?

October 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

6. edmundcolell1

Actually, the first John Carpenter Halloween movie is the movie that gets me in the Halloween mood. That movie has long been a family tradition to me.

October 7, 2011 at 10:31 am

7. Aside from the typical slasher flicks (if i start naming those I’ll never stop. I’m a sucker for gore.)The Witches of Eastwick
    They show it on television a lot during the Halloween season, and if it’s on i HAVE to watch it.
    “Whoooooorrrrrrrrrres!”
    And Ginger Snaps I, II, and III

October 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm

8. Uzumaki (Spiral) is a Japanese flick in which malevolent spirals, twisted characters, obsession, and possession add up to create one of the most uniquely horrifying–and Bizarro–cinematic experiences I’ve seen. Recommended. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244870/

October 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm

9. I would have to say From Beyond. I am very much a H.P. Lovecraft fan and the film captures the feel of his stories… even though there are alot of 1980’s cheesy horror flick moments there as well.

October 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm

10. GINGER SNAPS! Yes! I used to watch that every Halloween back when I still had tv. It was great.

I did hear some good things about Uzumaki, though I have yet to check out the film.

October 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm

11. Sgt. Donald Armfield

Trick r treat is a sick movie
    But I like watching all the old skool favorites

October 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

12. Hocus Pocus and Ernest Scared Stupid.

October 8, 2011 at 6:10 am

13. Nightmare Before Christmas… I get two holiday season’s mileage from it.
    Is there a Griswold Halloween themed movie? There should be a Griswold Halloween themed movie.

October 8, 2011 at 9:13 am

14. Carrie is a solid classic. I rewatched it a couple years ago and found out it holds up and the cinematography and acting is amazing so now I watch it every Halloween. Also in my constant annual spooky rotation is Braindead, Last House on the Left, Return of the Living Dead, Hellbound Hellraiser, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, The Wicker Man (original) Blood For Dracula and anything by Hitchcock except The Birds.

October 10, 2011 at 8:07 am

15. How did I not think of Hocus Pocus?!
    “Amok, amok, amok, amok, a-UH!”

October 10, 2011 at 12:32 pm

16. I don’t watch a lot of horror, but one film that will forever remind me of Halloween is the original Ghoulies movie.

Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

October 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm