Happy Birthday, H. P. Lovecraft!

Today marks the 123rd birthday of H. P. Lovecraft, a man whose work has stood the test of time, and has inspired multiple generations of writers, filmmakers, artists and musicians. We asked some fellow Bizarros for their favourite stories or other works inspired by Lovecraft’s own, and came up with the following:

Ross E. Lockhart, editor of two Lovecraft-inspired anthologies, says:

For me, it’s “The Festival,” Lovecraft’s tale of holiday cheer, family gatherings, and a “Yule-rite, older than man and fated to survive him” that never fails to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. And HPL’s description of the procession–“They were not altogether crows, nor moles, nor buzzards, nor ants, nor vampire bats, nor decomposed human beings; but something I cannot and must not recall. They flopped limply along, half with their webbed feet and half with their membranous wings; and as they reached the throng of celebrants the cowled figures seized and mounted them, and rode off one by one along the reaches of that unlighted river, into pits and galleries of panic where poison springs feed frightful and undiscoverable cataracts.”–is one of the most Bizarro moments in the history of weird fiction.

You can find the story in full (and free) here.

And on that note, bizarro horror artist Nick Gucker drew a creature inspired by that very story!

nick gucker

NBAS author Andrew Wayne Adams says:

My favourite Lovecraft-inspired movie is In the Mouth of Madness. Sutter Cane is probably THE main reason I grew up wanting to be a writer. I wanted my thoughts to control reality, just like his (with the ultimate goal of destroying reality by imploding it with an incomprehensible “beyond”). Also, I used to put this movie on while I slept, and did this almost every night for years.

Here’s a fun clip from the movie featuring a crazed man with an axe.

1. speaking of his birthday. this lovecraft inspired book is free for the week to celebrate that birth! http://www.amazon.com/Hitchers-ebook/dp/B008G1BS92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341072239&sr=8-1&keywords=hitchers+p.+a.+douglas

August 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm

2. Pingback: The Assaults of Chaos (A Novel About H. P. Lovecraft) by S.T. Joshi | Excursions Into Imagination

3. I’m gone to say to my little brother, that he should also pay
    a visit this website on regular basis to take updated from newest reports.

February 8, 2014 at 11:24 pm

4. Ahaa, its fastidious dialogue regarding this piece of writing at this place at this webpage, I have read all that,
    so at this time me also commenting at this place.

April 14, 2014 at 12:28 am

5. Wow! This can be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject.
    Actually Fantastic. I’m also an expert in this topic therefore I
    can understand your hard work.

May 19, 2014 at 1:38 am

6. Paragraph writing is also a excitement, if you know then you can write if not it is complex to
    write.

June 12, 2014 at 1:49 am

7. The law is coming down harder on DUI cases these days, so a DUI lawyer
    is going to be necessary to get you through the legal system with the least amount of trouble.

Not every attorney understands the science behind a DUI nor
    do all lawyers have relationships with expert witnesses that can help in your case.
    It is best to come clean about it because it can lead to a simple outcome.

July 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm

8. Hello, brilliant suggestion and an interesting article post, it’ll be exciting if this is still the state of affairs in a few years time

July 16, 2014 at 4:20 am

9. This form of mechanics training does not require any previous
    experience or formal training, and instead introduces the student to body shop tools that are most commonly used,
    the basic math that is needed within the shop environment, introductory welding techniques, basic repair work, an intro to automotive electrical
    systems, painting prep work and also explains overall repair work.
    Chain auto body shops are more of an assembly-line atmosphere
    where more than one technician may work on one job and, therefore, they often hire technicians with only one experience level in paint, body, or frame repairs.
    Each car manufacturer has different guidelines that apply to their vehicles, but if you take the time to read
    the owner’s manual, you’ll have a pretty good
    idea what needs to be done and when.

July 16, 2014 at 10:59 am

10. I seldom comment on these items, but I assumed this on deserved a thumb up

July 16, 2014 at 1:42 pm

11. I very rarely discuss these items, but I assumed this on deserved a thumb up

July 17, 2014 at 12:55 pm

12. Also he followed an eating plan that thought
    him what these best foods for weight loss were, when and how to cook
    them and in what combinations to eat them. Diet pills
    should be used in addition to a diet and exercise plan, not in place of.
    When you view it as a means to have a healthy body, you are ensured of quick weight loss because you are determined to do things
    the right way without causing harm to yourself.

July 21, 2014 at 1:08 am

13. Hello there! This blog post couldn’t be written any
    better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He always kept preaching about this. I most certainly
    will send this article to him. Fairly certain he’s going
    to have a very good read. Many thanks for sharing!

July 30, 2014 at 9:10 am

14. Just as described. Awsome seller

August 7, 2014 at 6:17 pm

15. Hi there,You have done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my
    friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this site.

August 9, 2014 at 1:11 am

16. This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!!

Finally I’ve found something that helped me.

Many thanks!

September 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm

17. Awfully fascinating piece of writing

September 28, 2014 at 7:10 am

18. I’m curious to find out what blog platform you’re utilizing?
    I’m having some small security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more risk-free.
    Do you have any solutions?

October 1, 2014 at 8:51 am

19. naturally like your web site but you have to check the spelling on several of your posts.
    Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I
    find it very troublesome to inform the reality on the
    other hand I will definitely come back again.

October 1, 2014 at 9:15 am

20. Hello, this weekend is nice for me, since this time i am reading this great educational paragraph here
    at my residence.