Dilation Exercise 74

In an effort to promote my new novel, A PARLIAMENT OF CROWS, released by Lazy Fascist Press, I created the Dilation Exercise below using an excerpt from the novel. The novel is inspired by the three infamous Wardlaw sisters. This Dilation Exercise breaks my rule of only two lines of caption.

In the late fall of 1898, persuaded by his mother that suicide was his best course of action, James boarded a train headed for Louisville, Kentucky with the intention of leaping from the locomotive at a great speed and dashing his brains out on the rough ballast around the tracks. He leapt shortly after the train left the station in Christiansboro, before much speed had accumulated. He broke a leg in the fall and was a burden to the family until he healed many months later.

Spring of 1900, James leapt into the well, but he thrashed about and cried so long and hard for help that trying to ignore him became an embarrassment, and a rescue commenced. With each attempt on his life, the activity and drama served only to draw unwanted attention from the parents of the college students and from folks in town.

—Alan M. Clark
Eugene, Oregon

If you like Alan M. Clark’s artwork, please try his writing in both short fiction and novels.

Artwork: “Down the Hole (revised)” copyright © 2001 Alan M. Clark.

1. kcb

I just noticed your initials/signature- that’s awesome.

November 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm

• alanmclark

Thank you. You seem surprised. I’m surprised.

November 28, 2012 at 2:24 pm

• kcb

Not surprised, just impressed with the design. I thought it was a triforce in a circle at first.

November 28, 2012 at 2:40 pm

2. Anonymous

Thank you, but I stole it from my father. His name was William M. Clark and so his symbol had an M topped by a W. I just removed two lines to get my AMC.

November 28, 2012 at 3:09 pm

• kcb

Art is rarely totally original, that doesn’t make it any less awesome.

November 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm

3. Thanks. My father wanted to be an artist and was quite accomplished at painting and drawing, among many other creative pursuits, but he became a doctor. He never discouraged me from thinking I could make a living as an artist.

November 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm

• kcb

That’s cool. I was thinking about going into psychology and consciousness studies, but decided to major in art. Maybe that’s a thing. And I’m guessing you’re making a living as an artist- I prefer to think it’s possible. (read as: I need for it to be possible)

November 28, 2012 at 3:39 pm

4. Yes, I’ve been working as a freelance illustrator full-time for just about 28 years. It is possible. The last 20 of those years I have made a good living.

November 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm

• kcb

This is good news because I want to do the same thing.

November 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm

5. It’s a lot of work, but it has been very satisfying for me.

November 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm

• kcb

I’d rather do a lot of work illustrating for a living than do a normal amount of work on (nearly) anything else.

November 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm