Nazi Bangkok

By Tracy Vanity People here in Thailand tend to view Hitler as a Darth Vader-like symbol of rebellion. Evil; but in a fun, punk-rock way. Thais happily sport Nazi imagery alongside images of Che Guevara and Doraemon without irony. The rock band “SLUR” even dressed up in Führer-regalia for their video simply called “Hitler.” It doesn’t hurt that most of the planet’s people — Buddhists and Hindus — consider the swastika an auspicious emblem of the elephant-headed Ganesha. And there’s little comprehension of the Holocaust or most Western sentiments toward the Third Reich. As a result, one frequently spots Nazi-iconography-as-fashion here, mostly in the form of t-shirts and other merchandise sold at various outdoor markets around Bangkok:

8-bit Führer for sale

. hitler121210005-1

Hitler with a Western pop culture twist

. hitler2

hitler1

A Japanese tourist sports a pink Hitler shirt

. hitler1-1

Nazi stickers on the ferry ride home.

hitler2-1

Pop art Hitler is bigger than Warhol.

hitlerwarhol-1

Rubber Hitler masks are available year round.

hitlermask-1 (1)

A chimpanzee hocks some Hitler faces at the gas station

. hitler

The Hitler wax sculpture at LOUIS Tussaud’s wax museum in Pattaya, Thailand is as popular as Obama.

hitlerwax-1

And my personal favorite, the Swastikar.

swasticar-1

1. this is fucking really interesting. i would love to read more about it.

June 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm

2. Plenty of Nazi weirdness in Japan too.

June 8, 2011 at 2:33 am

3. The symbol for temple looks sort of like a swaztika in Japan. My friend just came back from Thailand. I totally wish he would have taken some pictures like this. Plenty of weirdness abounds.

June 8, 2011 at 5:57 am

• Did he take pics of any gorgeous ladyboys? They’re stunning.

June 10, 2011 at 11:15 am

• Drb

some ideas: Articles. Reference materials. Cross post artcelis. History Who’s who. Technique maneuvers, heel, pitch Practical Application. Boats. Forward Stroke. Creating a routine. Paired Solo. Marc O instructional videos. and the blog page could be a chance for people to ask a question, or suggest a topic.

February 14, 2013 at 4:27 am

• I think most people that are itnerested in FreeStyle have met other FS’ers at events and are comfortable reading and posting in an environment that is more nested so to speak.I know many folks are just not into posting on Facebook because of privacy concerns.I think we should focus here on FS oriented discussions. As far as I know we are not itnerested in spurious arguments that sometime show up on solotripping and p’net. FS discussions have a way of going way off base in more open audience discussions.

February 14, 2013 at 4:06 am

• TZ2OE4 umjpwhdaaliy

February 17, 2013 at 7:07 pm

4. That is some extreme rebellion. >>

My first reaction is amused surprise… I find it kind of funny that they’d choose HITLER instead of … say Che or any of the other hipster (whoops, did I write that?) icons to stick it to the man.

I, too, saw swastika wallets (mostly wallets) that had giant profanities in English when I lived in Japan. They generally were owned by jr. high or high school kids — perhaps a way to try to scare away that horrible bullying that the society condones and suffers from?

The “he was right” shirt seriously has me in stitches. It’s HIGHLY unlikely that the people who made the design would fit the Aryan archetype, so it begs the question: suicidal misanthrope or moron who just tried to come up with the most shocking, upsetting image they could come up with? (I think it’s the latter, personally)

June 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

• Thais use Che imagery too, especially during protests. I think they just don’t completely understand what it means but know it’s a powerful symbol.

June 10, 2011 at 11:02 am

5. Kevin Sweeney

More Thailand reports please. You’re reminding me why I fell in love with the place so many years ago, and why I shall be back in a few months.

June 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm

• Will do. How long are you visiting for?

June 10, 2011 at 11:12 am

6. Bradley Sands

I always used to want someone to make me a Nike Swish armband, but that was back when I wore suits practically every day instead of dressing like a slob. I think there was some Magneto Was Right t-shirts that some comic characters wore during Grant Morrison’s run on New X-Men and people in the “real world” also started making their own t-shirts of it. Those shirts may start popping up again because of the new movie. “Magneto Was Right” is in reference to his view that all non-mutants should be exterminated, although I think there’s barely any mutants left in the Marvel Universe these days because of some some the results of some major company-wide event where that ended with the Scarlet Witch taking away the powers of most of the mutants of the Earth, turning them into normal humans.

June 10, 2011 at 2:46 am

• Now that would be awesome – save for the fact that the new movie makes my fan-girl rage get to dangerous levels of Shulky. …. Though… after the whole spamming Wolverine on everything… I shied from X-Men these past few years.. :( then they’re doing the same thing to poor, poor Deadpool. /lament

June 10, 2011 at 8:37 am

• Why a Nike swish?

June 10, 2011 at 11:14 am

• I had been honored to get a call conmig from a friend immediately he uncovered the important ideas shared on the site. Studying your blog write-up is a real wonderful experience. Thank you for taking into consideration readers at all like me, and I desire for you the best of achievements like a professional in this fieldWe offer our services throughout the nation, however with Eagle Ford Shale and the demand there is for products to drill on the land in South Texas, we hold high priority to this area with staff set aside specifically to handle this region.

March 21, 2014 at 4:40 pm

7. They make good sneakers.

June 19, 2011 at 12:58 am